Sunday, April 7, 2013

Small Victories

I cleaned out my freezer.  It was a task that needed to be done, and I am claiming it as a small victory. It is a tiny reclamation of the feeling of success that I so deserve.  Some friends were coming over to make freezer meals, so I needed to make some space.  Now my freezer is lovely and organized, and it makes me feel content when I open it up to look inside.

But seriously, how did my freezer get into the condition it was?  I found about 10 ropes of kielbasa, four boxes of Go-Gurt, and endless packages of freezer-burned meat.  There was even a three-year-old package of bacon.  I hate having a side-by-side fridge/freezer combo, and one of my favorite complaints is that the freezer is too small and the ice thing take up all of the usable space.  When I empty it out of all contents and rearrange, I am reminded that it holds a lot more than I like to think it does.  True, it's too narrow for a pizza box, but who likes frozen pizza anyhow?

Just like my silly red bird reminded me this weekend, I will only find peace through one victory at a time.  Cleaning my freezer is one little victory.  I can draw all kinds of parallels between the freezer and myself about finding all kinds of forgotten treasures, or wax philosophical about things that have gone to waste that were taking up space, mystery packages that I didn't even open but just tossed, or being surprised yet again at the actual capacity of the freezer, but it all seems so obvious.

Let's just say my freezer is now in a logical order and there is space for another casserole or two.  It makes me smile to open it up and see the happily arranged items.  I am also glad that it shows I am strong enough and able to pull myself out of my slump, one little step at a time.

I deserve BEAUTY in my life!





No comments:

Post a Comment