Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Favorite Day


I used to be so annoyed at how Pooh and Piglet had no greater view than what is happening immediately.  While I get that it is supposed to be childish in nature, even when I was a child myself I found it frustrating.  Why aren't they smarter and see that there is so much more than just where you are?  How come they have to be so very naive?

Now I see...it is the very source of their innocence that they live entirely in the moment.  What appears to be naivete is actually well-cloaked wisdom.  Does it matter what yesterday was?  Does it matter about tomorrow?  The only thing that truly exists is right here and now.

I remember saying to someone once, "I really wish it was Friday already!" and her response was something to the effect of, "I am glad it is today.  I don't like to wish my life away."  That irritated me as well.  I thought this person was scolding me for looking forward to something and being morbid about it.  As I have grown better acquainted with what it means to live in the present, I see that that is not the case.  There is nothing wrong with looking forward to Friday, but the caution is against doing it at the expense of today and all of the todays in between.

Of course I need to remember events and things I have learned from the past, and I need to plan for the future, but joy is only to be found where I am.  Today is not the first day of the rest of my life.  Today is the only day of my life that matters. I need to love and live now, it is all I have and it is a beautiful gift.

I deserve BEAUTY in my life!




No comments:

Post a Comment